Watch the Orchestra Academy Concert!
Seven talented young musicians from the Orchestra Academy took the stage in the auditorium of our corporate member Bayer AG for an exquisite chamber concert for the second time on May 7. In a worldwide livestream, people on almost every continent followed the concert. Thus, the audience totaled nearly 21,700 people. You can watch the recording at any time on YouTube: https://youtu.be/4_cnPKx1HSQ
Learn about the Kinderopernhaus Berlin Project!
In a new edition of our video series »Behind Closed Doors« you get to know Regina Lux-Hahn, initiator and director of the Kinderopernhaus Berlin, and the wonderful mediation project for children and young people. Learn more about the beginnings ten years ago and what makes the project so special.You can watch the recording (in German, with option for auto-translated closed-captioning) on YouTube: https://youtu.be/FFB8hLDpf4c
END-OF-SEASON FESTIVAL: June 13 – July 3, 2021
Premiere: Puccini’s LA FANCIULLA DEL WEST
FREISCHÜTZ in concert
Drive-in Cinema Experience (thanks to BMW!)
Thanks to the hygienic protocols in place, we are able to welcome back our audience at the end of the season, from June 13 – July 3!
“Since November 2020, no more public performances could take place in the Staatsoper Unter den Linden. All of us here in the house can hardly express what it means for us to have the prospect of being able to receive our audience again. With the virtual premieres of LOHENGRIN, PINOCCHIO, JENUFA and LE NOZZE DI FIGARO, concerts and much more, we kept the artistic engine of the house running during this time and were able to remain at least visible and audible far beyond Berlin. But it goes without saying – especially for all artists – nothing can replace getting real and immediate reactions and enabling direct experiences. We very much hope that our audience will trust the comprehensive, tried, and tested hygienic measures and return quickly with full of curiosity.”Matthias Schulz
The program of our End-of-Season Festival includes:
• The premiere of Giacomo Puccini’s LA FANCIULLA DEL WEST on June 13th, directed by Lydia Steier, who makes her house debut with this production. The musical direction is in the hands of Sir Antonio Pappano, Music Director of the Royal Opera House and Chief Conductor-designate of the London Symphony Orchestra. Featuring Anja Kampe (Minnie) and Marcelo Álvarez (Dick Johnson) and Michael Volle as Jack Rance. Further performances on June 16, 19, 24 and 27, and July 3.
Thanks to our main partner BMW, the premiere of this “Wild West” opera, which takes place in California during the gold rush, will be shown in the opera house and live streamed on the website of the Staatsoper Unter den Linden on June 13, thanks to our main partner BMW. The opera will also be broadcast live as a Drive-in Cinema event; the venue and further information will be announced shortly.
• On June 20 and 26, on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of its world premiere, two concert performances of Carl Maria von Weber’s DER FREISCHÜTZ will take place. With Evelin Novak, Victoria Randem, Roman Trekel, Reinhard Hagen and Stephan Rügamer, conducted by Alexander Soddy.
• On June 21 and 22, Sir Antonio Pappano will conduct the Staatskapelle Berlin at two subscription concerts in the Staatsoper Unter den Linden and in the Philharmonie with Tchaikovsky’s orchestral suite No. 3 in G major op. 55 and his Piano Concerto No. 2 in G major op. 44, with Alexandre Kantorow as a soloist.
• On June 23, the Staatsoper Unter den Linden and Senator for Culture Dr. Klaus Lederer will host the CONCERT FOR BERLIN with the Staatskapelle Berlin under the direction of Daniel Barenboim – in cooperation with KulturLeben Berlin – Schlüssel zur Kultur e.V. More information on this will follow shortly.
• On June 19 and 20, the Children’s Opera Orchestra under the direction of Giuseppe Mentuccia present a program including dances by Camille Saint-Saëns and Peter I. Tchaikovsky. This project, which is made possible in cooperation with all of Berlin’s local music schools, aims to make a difference for all the children involved by culminating their experience.
Coming Soon: Next Season’s Program Announcement!
We are pleased to publish the program for the 2021-22 season at 6 a.m. EST on the Staatsoper Unter den Linden website on June 4, and present it to you digitally on social media.